Did you know that there are hundreds of different varieties of avocados? This yummy fruit is grown right here in California, with the Haas variety accounting for the majority of the crop.
Avocados have many health benefits. They are packed with nutrition with 20 vitamins and minerals including Vitamin B5 and B6, Vitamin C, Folate, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin E, as well as small amounts of magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, phosphorus, to name a few. But wait! There’s more! A 3.5 ounce of avocado contains more potassium than a banana and is loaded with monounsaturated oleic acid which has many health benefits. In addition, mighty avocado is credited for lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels. (See the links below for more fabulous information on avocado health benefits.)
Did someone say avocado toast? An all-time favorite is avocado toast with sour dough bread! Try using different toppings to add some variety. Here are a few, but simple, and most preferred toppings:
· sautéed garlic and mushrooms in olive oil (my favorite)
· Everything Bagel seasoning (Trader Joe’s)
· hard-boiled egg white (or use whole egg cooked your favorite way)
· lightly salted with truffle salt (another favorite)
· tomato slices with fresh basil
· For more avocado topping suggestions, see https://www.thekitchn.com/11-easy-ways-to-fancy-up-your-avocado-toast-219143 .
Have fun trying different toppings with avocados and trust in knowing that you are doing something very good for your health by doing so!
More on avocados: